Friday, April 8, 2011

Learn Web Design! Or Don't. It Doesn't Matter.


After letting this blog wither on the vine this year, I felt compelled to post another entry (or two).

Following my last post I made an attempt at learning web design. I became a member on Lynda.com, ordered up a few books on HTML/XHTML/CSS, dabbled in Dreamweaver and spent hours researching info online. Then I got a call from a new client who wanted a few web pages revised. I told them that I could design for the web, but didn't know how to code. "No problem" they said. All I had to do was revise a few Photoshop files, and their "development team" would handle the coding. Long story short, I was revising these PSDs for use in a Wordpress theme.

I didn't know what Wordpress was so I looked it up. Apparently, it's an extremely popular, open-source code that uses customizable templates, or "themes" to instantly build fully-functional web sites. This is the part where I looked into my crystal ball, and didn't see too many reasons to continue learning web design. After all, who the hell is going to pay me thousands of dollars to build a web site when they can just buy a customizable template for $40 and be done with it?

So the whole "learning web design to save my freelance career" thing didn't work out like I thought it would. I'm hoping my "Plan C" will be more viable. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment