Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Best Things About Being A Freelancer


You know, I never wanted to be a freelancer. When I left my last staff position, I was certain that I could easily find another job. I figured that if I couldn't find a staff position, then I could always freelance - as a last resort. After all, who would voluntarily forfeit "job stability", health benefits, paid time off and a fancy cubical. I never found that staff position. And now, over 7 years later, my views about freelance have changed dramatically.

So what are the best things about being a freelancer? While it's not all a bed of roses, there are a number of reasons why some folks prefer freelancing over a staff position.

In no particular order...

The freedom to work with different agencies. The variety of working with different creative teams and on different brands really help to keep the creative juices flowing. The constant challenges of jumping from one agency to another reinforce the fact that I'm running my own business.

No more performance reviews. One of the most awkward, humiliating and wholly unnecessary aspects of being on staff... the performance review. Even after busting your ass all year long, your boss will inevitable find that there is "plenty of room for improvement" on your end. So why didn't your boss bother to mention all of these shortcomings 6 months ago? Having to endure this formulaic slap in the face just to receive well-deserved raise? No thanks.

Being your own boss. Nuff said.

Leaving work at work. When I was on staff I used to leave work at 9 or 10 o'clock at night. I'd go home and lay awake in bed while gritting my teeth as I obsessed over whatever project I was working on. My dentist and I are both glad those days are long gone.

Working from home. FTP transfers, video conferencing, iChats, and emails all while festooned in your pajama bottoms.

What are your favorite things about being a freelancer?

3 comments:

  1. These are a few of my favorite freelance things:
    -- Being your own boss
    -- Working with a variety of agencies
    -- Working on a variety of jobs & client
    -- Free from office politics
    -- Leave work at work
    -- Free from "fallout": usually, I don't have to worry about fussy clients or bad print jobs
    -- Control of your own income
    -- Deductibles!

    Lots to love for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for no more performance reviews! Why don't they speak up before it's too late! I'm not a mind-reader, people. If you don't like something I'm doing, tell me now. It's like yelling at the dog a week after he's crapped on the floor. Won't do you any good.

    I also won't miss the smug look on a manager's face as they triumphantly slide a piece of paper upside down across the table to reveal the measely raise I'll be getting. No more office politics is a biggie, too.

    And the jammies is also a fave but very dangerous for me. I recently joined the gym to ensure that I'll put on real clothes and leave the house at least 3 times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have done a top ten list.

    ReplyDelete