Thursday, July 30, 2009

One moment while I connect your call...


Since work has been pretty dead I haven't been that diligent about posting any updates to the blog. After all, why post anything if there is nothing new to report. I've been getting lax in other areas as well. Like keeping my phone on all the time. Too bad for me since this new-found complacency just cost me several thousand dollars. Yes, I got a call last week to work on-site for several days. Unfortunately, when I didn't promptly return the call, the gig went to another freelancer who did answer their phone. Now that was an expensive lesson.

Speaking of expensive and phones... as you can see from the photo, I need a new phone. I'd like to get an iPhone, but both the phone and data plan make my wallet itch. Yes, I know. It's all a tax write-off, but it's hard to put out that kind of dough when the cash flow is low - yo. So, what's a poor freelancer to do? I'll probably just go for it. You can't hope to successfully run a business by just eking by on antiquated equipment. And since a cell phone is the life-blood of a freelancer I should probably get a good one.

The fact that the iPhone is cool as hell doesn't hurt either.

4 comments:

  1. You must resist the iPhone! I'm all about being a faithful apple and mac user, but in my opinion, the iPhone is highly over-rated. Sure it's shiny and pretty and has that neato touch screen feature, but what can it do that you can't get from any other phone?

    My weapon of choice that I would highly reco is Verizon's LG enV2. It's a great flip phone with a full qwerty keyboard. If you're a texting fiend, like me, then this is the phone for you. If I'm working on site, a quick text to a friend or client is much less intrusive than a call. PLUS, IT'S WAAAYYY CHEAPER THAN AN iPHONE! After rebates, I think I got away with this one for 50 bucks! I just checked the web and the enV3 is about $80!

    I know you can get a data plan with this phone for email, but I'd rather not pay for it. As far as email goes, I keep a window minimized on the machine I'm working on all day with both my hotmail and katandmouse email and refresh it every half hour or so.

    As technology goes, I tend to keep things as simple as possible and wait to it's absolutely necessary before I break down and give in to a fancier gadget. Or I'm just cheap. Whichever way you want to look at it - no iPhone for me for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathy 100%

    Your mistake was missing the call, not having an iPhone.

    You're trying desperately to justify owning one, but the truth is, just answer your fucken phone! :)

    I want one too, but I can't justify the expense right now.

    BTW, I think I was the schlub who got your possible gig... which means my LG verizon is working just fine. In fact, it's a thousand dollar phone!

    (actually, I probably wasn't the one, considering it was Catapult and I only had one day in...)

    Peace!
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend the Blackberry Curve. Cheaper than iPhone, but gives a freelancer everything he needs -- full internet, easy e-mail response, everything at your fingertips.

    I just switched to Blackberry a month ago and I wonder how I got along without it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, since you have all recommended the iPhone so heartily then I shall get one as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete