Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pro Bo-No-Way


From Wikipedia...
"Pro bono publico (usually shortened to pro bono) is a phrase derived from the Latin language meaning "for the public good". The term is generally used to describe professional work undertaken voluntarily and without payment as a public service. It is common in the legal profession and is increasingly seen in marketing, technology, and strategy consulting firms. Pro bono service, unlike traditional volunteerism, uses the specific skills of professionals to provide services to those who are unable to afford them."


When I was first starting out after college I accepted several pro bono jobs. Every single one turned into a nightmare that wouldn't have been worth the aggravation even if I was getting paid. These experiences stuck with me, and I have since adopted a strict "no pro bono work" policy.

Now, as if things weren't bad enough, I've had several clients (outside of the industry) asking me to take on pro bono projects. The standard sales pitch for pro bono work is always the old "This project could lead to a lot of paying work down the road." Of course it never does. Looks like some clients have gone from lowering their freelance rates to now trying to get work for free. An insult to say the least. Would you ask a plumber, teacher or mechanic to perform pro bono work? Of course not. But I guess it's OK to ask artists that create artwork that's used to promote or advertise a business to work for free.

The latest insult came the other week in the form of a complicated vehicle wrap for a large bus. I responded by saying that I would try to work within a limited budget, but a job this size was way beyond the scope of pro bono work. The client didn't even have the courtesy to respond.

No matter how bad the economy gets I'll never work for free - even with the promise that it could lead to paying jobs in the future. Pro bono work is for suckers and my mama didn't raise no sucker!

After doing a bit of reserch on pro bono or "spec work" I found that I'm not the only one crying foul. Check out http://www.no-spec.com/ for more info on the subject.

3 comments:

  1. let's reread that definition... "for the public good", it says. Pro bono has traditionally been linked to charitable initiatives, or under-funded educational/arts endeavors. NOT small businesses or marketing agencies, who are in the business of PROFIT, not "public good."

    I think it's shameful what people are trying to pull in this economy.After a couple of hard lessons, I will never ever work for peanuts or do spec work. Ever. Sorry.

    Has anyone EVER had a reverse story? "Yeah, I did a few projects for free and later they TOTALLY made it up and gave me a bonus!" Uh, no.

    The other day I walked away from a paying job that just wasn't worth the time and aggravation. "Pro Bono"? It is to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I've heard the "it could lead to more work someday" line as well and it's a total load.

    I think the only pro bono work I MIGHT ever considering doing would be some design work for a favorite restaurant. And even then, I'd try to wrangle myself some free food out of the deal. Of course, I suppose the word of mouth business you could get from that could end up biting you in the ass. "She's great and she works for food!"

    I'm not that desperate yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree here too.

    I have been burnt a few times on pro-bono work. The working idea for US is that, as you said, we MAY get paying work. The problem is that, clients who don't pay for things hang together. The 'pro-bono' crowd travels in large packs called 'scum bags'.

    I would do a barter, but to ask someone to offer their services for free is just an example of how screwed up people are and their expectations are of we artist types.

    It's enough hardship for us to collect money from non-agency clients, but then to work for free... man! I would barter, but NEVER work for free. My philistine business friends and family would look at this is a stupid move. They might even say, "but what if you get a client from it?"

    NOT working is better than working for free because... well... working for free is WORKING FOR EFFEN FREE!

    I agree with Slim that pro-bono NEVER leads to work.

    ReplyDelete