Monday, January 5, 2009

How Freelance Works - Or, In This Case, Doesn't Work


The holidays are a great time for catching up with friends and family that you don't get to visit with often. Of course, one of the first questions that get asked is "So how's work going?". "Well, not too good" you respond. At that point you could elaborate and moan about the economy, and how the promotional marketing industry has been hit as hard as every other industry. It's a great way to bring the mood right down. Cheers!

At these family functions I'm often asked "What exactly do you do again?". I mention something about freelance graphic design, logos, illustration and promotional marketing. I've gotten used to the blank looks on peoples faces when I mention the words "promotional marketing". The very next sentence always seems to go something like this... "Hmmm, that's interesting. Hey, is that uncle Ebenezer in the corner?! I haven't seen him in a 'coons age'! Excuse me, I have to go say hello to him." And just like that, you're left standing alone staring at your egg nog.

On the rare instances when someone really wants to know about what I do, it always catches me off guard. Some people are interested in the whole freelance aspect and ask "So how does freelance work?". Trust me when I tell you that I don't let them know the real answer. The truth about how freelance works is about as boring as a dissertation on the chemical composition of lawn fertilizer. Probably more so. Instead I talk about other aspects of the work, and try to make it sound cool or at least interesting.

Now we all know how freelance really works. It's who you know, and it's how good you are. In that order. That's it. But isn't that how everything in this world works? Nepotism isn't a new concept, and obviously plays an integral role in our industry. The fact that the promotional marketing industry is so centralized (and comparatively small) here on the "gold coast" is the key factor.

These days "who you know" is a double-edged sword. With all of the recent layoffs, every Art Director around knows at least a half dozen "buddies" who are out looking for work. A lot of these "buddies" will be 7 months out of college with dubious design skills to say the least. They have no understanding of what ROI means, they can't tell you the difference between strategy and tactics, and they have no clue what the significance of Bentonville, Arkansas is. However, they'll probably be getting a phone call long before any seasoned freelancer does. But that's not the bad news. The bad news is Junior ADs aren't the only ones out on the street. A lot of senior-level creatives have been let go, and these folks know a lot of people. In the end, the people who were once your pipeline for freelance work are now competing with you for the little freelance work that's available. All-in-all it's a pretty grim situation.

So what's a poor freelancer to do? During your downtime update your portfolio and web site. Try and search out new agencies or design shops that you've never heard of before. Travel farther distances to find work - i.e. New York. Utilize LinkedIn, Monster.com and other web sites that offer job searches. As a last resort you can try a recruiter/placement agency, but just don't let them name your price. I have heard and seen how some of these shops will try and force you to work for $20 and $30 bucks an hour while billing the agency $80 an hour. DEMAND YOUR NORMAL HOURLY RATE! Don't worry about the placement agency. They'll still make a profit off of you even at your normal rate! Another last resort is taking on side jobs (...shudder!). I think I would rather let my family starve then take on work from the general public. Actually, I'd rather have my grandmother find me dead on the floor after I choked to death on a novelty sex toy then take on work from the general public. But I digress.

Good luck and here's to hoping the New Year brings us new fortune!

No comments:

Post a Comment